Saturday, May 27, 2023

Dave Lawrence



A tribute to

Dave Lawrence


Dave and Linda Lawrence 

It's always a shock when bad news arrives. Our friend Dave Lawrence died suddenly last week while's visiting Spain. 

And in the typical Spanish way, his funeral followed very quickly. Not much time for Linda and there three daughters to come to terms. 

We've all known Dave and Linda for some time and they were one of the early members of the CBBCs. ( Costa Blanca Bird Club )

The late Brian Conduit would hold a birding session on the first Tuesday of every month, at the Clot De Galvany, that's how we all met and became friends with Dave and Linda,  John and Mary, Trevor Ashley, Paul and Greta, me and Trish, and so many more who became mates 

John and Mary


Me and Mary

We all became members of CBBC and would do the monthly birding trips around Costa Blanca regularly


 Trevor Ashley


Paul in deep in conversation @ Finca Bonelli's



Dave Lawrence at one of our many trips to Finca Bonelli's this photo is from one of our Christmas parties.



The wonderful Greta

 Our favorite was Finca Bonelli's with Colin and Jane.

The bird club had some great days up there on the top of the world.

Trish

My claim to fame  I saved Dave's life. ( not really )

Whilst Birding Palm Farm Road, there was a field of Sunflowers it was in full bloom.

My photo of the sunflower field 

 Dave said I've got to get a photograph of that, ok I said let's pull over, Dave gets out first, and I'm on the passenger side I walked around the car, and take a few photos, no sign of Dave but I hear him shouting.

Dave had fallen into a 3 meters deep ditch full of mud and stinking water, I said what are you doing down there Dave, oh it's okay for you to laugh he said. "Are you all right" Of course I'm not.

 Bad language followed I was laughing which didn't help matters. At one point I almost got Dave out of the pit, but he slipped back down into the murky stinky mud. Dave wasn't happy more effing and blinding continued.

 I thought were in trouble here we could be here a long time. haha

The ditch was too steep so Dave waded 30 meters through the stinky water to a spot where the embankment was a little lower and I managed to drag him out covered in sh.t from head to toe. His camera never worked again, and he never got his photograph and that was the end of our birding day. Very little was said on the way back home, 

( Dave was in a strop )  which made me giggle a bit more. I held my head out the car window most of the time as the sh.t stink was just unbearable.

So I've never let Dave forget how I saved him from the smelly pit, I frequently reminded him over time of the episode and how he lived to tell the tale, sometimes with a red wine or two sat in the garden of his Gran Alacant home


The birding gang

I'd forgotten that I had done this and edited this photo

 So I've copied John's face onto everybody else @ Finca Bonelli's

 what a laugh.

A great gang of like-minded people that had a laugh and had fun birding together

A birding club with a drinking problem?

So thank you so very much

Dave Lawrence 

 for the great memories that will be treasured forever

we're all going to miss you loads

Rest in peace, Dave

Mega love to 

Linda and his daughters and family


No comments:

Post a Comment